SIP-based IP Phonesadmin
IP phones are phone sets that are specifically designed to transmit calls over the internet, using voice over internet protocol (VoIP). There are diverse types and versions of IP phones available, which are optimized to work with different protocols.
Although choosing the right VoIP service is important, you also need an IP phone with a high voice quality, in order to get the best possible VoIP calling experience. The voice packet is transported across the network using the VoIP protocol, and the IP phones support different protocols. However, the vast majority of the phone systems and services support SIP (Session Initiation Protocol).
SIP-based IP phones can be used with open source PBX Systems such as Asterisk, and trixbox. These systems have become very popular because they are flexible, and can be easily customized.
- Asterisk is an open-source PBX system to which VOIP phones or softphones can be added, so as to build a communication application for your home or office. Asterisk can be used on its own, or added to an existing system to improve efficiency.
- trixbox Pro is an Asterisk-based PBX system, but it is easier to configure, and simpler to install. It also uses open source telephony, and was formerly known as Asterisk@Home. trixbox is now marketed under the Fonality brand.
There are wide range of SIP based IP phones on the market including:
- The Yealink VoIP phones are designed for business users who need rich telephony features, a friendly user-interface and superb voice quality. The Yealink SIP-T series phones have large, high-resolution graphical displays, and are designed to deliver an excellent user experience. They also support security standards that guard against electronic eavesdropping and data theft.
- The Polycom SoundPoint IP Series is an top of the range enterprise grade series of SIP desktop phones designed for high quality sound and comprehensive features. The SoundPoint 300, 400, 500 and 600 series of phones are suitable for businesses and enterprises of all sizes.
- Aastra also has a wide range of SIP phones including the 6735i, 6737i, and the 6739i. These all come equipped with soft keys, line text displays, and programmable keys.
- Snom VoIP telephones can also be operated with PBX systems that support SIP. Phone sets include the Snom-370, the Snom 360, and the Snom 820 IP.
Grandstream, Yealink Inc, Siemens, and Polycom, are some of the other SIP-based IP phones that businesses can choose from.